Friday, May 13, 2011

Poetry should be easier, like frying bacon.

So, there's this open mic event in my hometown (well, my second hometown..I'm actually from Jamaica) anyways, I kind of want to do it but I'm like is my poetry that good? It's okay..I got compliments in highschool & college + a few awards..but I just don't look at my work as phenomenal, you know? Also I'm shy. I've performed a poem before..when I worked with students at a detention center at the end of the program I promised them I would read my poem and recite it from memory and actually perform it like spoken word..so i did. Which was good because some of them couldn't get permission to attend the event and their teacher recorded the event for them so I wanted them to see me perform it.

Well, they enjoyed it and the event as a whole but idk if I should read it again.. it's a poem I wrote titled Dark Liquor (btw it's not what it sounds like)..but idk what to read for this event?? I don't like writing typical poetry and I like taking familiar but non-associated concepts to talk about the actual subject of my poems for example my latest poem titled Letter to my first daughter, Eve deals with my personal struggle with my hair/Black hair...but I compare it to the story of Eve & the garden. I'm contemplating reading this poem I wrote called Execution which is quite risque but a lot of ppl seemed to like it, it's short but I think it packs a punch. So maybe I'll do those three. Dark Liquor is somewhat long, Letter to my first daughter, Eve is like medium-ish and Execution is short so..that could work.

Still, I reaaaallllyy need new poetic inspiration lol. I might look into the books my professor (who I will call "E") suggested last spring, they have cool ideas about coming up with ideas for poetry. Or maybe I'll just have my little sister grab 3 random objects from my room and write a poem that incorporates all of them. btw I will talk about my siblings a lot in these blogs. I heart them. Maybe I'll write a poem about them who knows? If all else fails there's always bacon...I do enjoy bacon. What? BACON = GOOD in my book, idc what they say! lol I thought about writing a love poem for all of 3 seconds then said ewww...never been able to write one that didn't sound like it was written by a ten-year-old boy with a crush on his teacher. Well, I think i'm out of things to say, til' next time.

Live. Laugh. Love. & God Bless<3

--babydoll.

No comments:

Post a Comment